Monday 12 December 2011

Six Nations - Wilkinson quits England duty

World Cup winning England fly-half Jonny Wilkinson has retired from international rugby with immediate effect.


Toulon's Wilkinson, 32, announced the decision on his personal website.
"I would like to take this opportunity to announce my retirement from International rugby," England's record points scorer said.
"To do so fills me with great sadness but I know that I have been blessed in so many ways to have experienced what I have with the England rugby team.
"I never ever believed that I would be able to give up on this dream which has driven me to live, breathe, love and embrace the game of rugby from the earliest days that I can remember."
Wilkinson - who could also play at inside-centre - was regarded to have under-performed along with most of England's team in their ill-fated 2011 World Cup campaign in New Zealand.
However, he will be remembered as one of the finest players in rugby history, and one who fought back to play at the highest level despite several career-threatening injuries.
At the peak of his game Wilkinson was renowned for his precision-kicking and also for his aggressive tackling, with the latter seeing him blighted by shoulder problems for much of his career.
Over a 13-year- England career, the former Newcastle star has 91 caps, including two World Cup finals, winning the 2003 trophy with a last-gasp drop goal against Australia.
Wilkinson also played in England's defeat to South Africa four years later, making him the first player to score points in two World Cup finals.

No comments:

Post a Comment