Showing posts with label MotorSports. Show all posts
Showing posts with label MotorSports. Show all posts

Saturday, 10 December 2011

WTCC release 2012 calendar

The calendar of the 2012 WTCC was approvedby the FIA World Motor Sport Council during the meeting in New Dehli.


The championship will again comprise 12 events between March and November.
WTCC will visit Austria, Argentina and the USA for the first time, and it will also return to Marrakech’s street circuit in Morocco.
Rounds 1 & 2: 11 March - Autodromo di Monza (Italy)
Rounds 3 & 4: 1 April - Circuit Ricardo Tormo, Valencia (Spain).
Rounds 5 & 6: 15 April - Circuit de Marrakech (Morocco)
Rounds 7 & 8: 6 May - Hungaroring, Budapest (Hungary)
Rounds 9 & 10: 20 May - Salzburgring (Austria)
Rounds 11 & 12: 10 June - Circuito do Estoril (Portugal)
Rounds 13 & 14: 8 July - Autodromo Oscar Cabalen, Córdoba (Argentina)
Rounds 15 & 16: 22 July - Autodromo Internacional de Curitiba (Brazil)
Rounds 17 & 18: 23 September - Infineon Raceway, Sonoma (USA)
Rounds 19 & 20: 21 October - Suzuka East Circuit (Japan)
Rounds 21 & 22: 4 November - Shanghai International Circuit (China)
Rounds 23 & 24: 18 November - Circuito da Guia (Macau)

Tuesday, 22 November 2011

BSB - Laverty, Kirkham join Honda for 2012

Michael Laverty and Jon Kirkham have been signed by Honda Racing for the 2012 British Superbike season.


The team, formerly known as HM Plant Honda, had already announced the departures of 2011 line-up Shane Byrne - who has moved to PBM Kawasaki - and Ryuichi Kiyonari.
Laverty fought for the 2011 title with Swan Yamaha (pictured), the team of championship winner Tommy Hill, taking three wins on his way to fourth spot.
“It is an exciting prospect for me to be joining Honda for 2012," said Laverty. "It was unexpected and it is always a difficult decision to move teams, especially as we had such a good season this year.
"I was fortunate to have options and I have gone from one championship-winning team to another; everyone knows that Honda have the history in BSB and we are really looking forward now to next season.
"I think the change with the rules has played a part in my decision to join Honda. You can see from Evo this season that the Honda chassis and engine was so strong and delivers useable power which will be so important next year.
"Next season for sure is going to be interesting and I think we start in a great position. The calibre of Honda and the Fireblade is high and we know we have big potential to fight for the title.”
He also tweeted: "So it has been announced that I will be joining Honda for 2012. I always wanted to be an official Honda rider as a kid.
"And sad in equal measures to be leaving the Swan Yamaha team, great bunch of people! It was a nice position to be in but you can only chose (sic) 1."
Kirkham was at runner-up John Hopkins's Samsung Crescent Suzuki team last season.
"It is absolutely fantastic for me to be joining the official Honda team as they are well established and the most successful team in the BSB paddock," he said.
"I really do believe they will have the package to beat with the new technical regulations as you could see how strong the Honda Fireblade was in the Evo championship last season, and the new for 2012 'Blade looks set to be even stronger.
"2011 was an up and down season for me so next year I just want to concentrate on my riding and getting the Honda up the front where we want and need to be."
He finished seventh last season and secured his maiden victory in the domestic superbike series.

Sunday, 6 November 2011

Stoner rounds off season with 10th win

Champion Casey Stoner mounted a thrilling late charge to pip Ben Spies to the line and snatch a 10th victory of the season at the final motorcycling Grand Prix of the year in rainy Valencia on Sunday. 

Australian Stoner, who secured his second MotoGP title at his home event last month, powered from pole into an early lead and led by some 10 seconds at one stage but was overtaken by the American Yamaha rider with around three laps left.
When Spies ran wide on the final turn, Stoner seized his chance and his front wheel crossed the line 0.015 seconds in front.
"My heart was in my throat," Repsol Honda rider Stoner said in an interview with Spanish television, adding that he had been forced to slow down when the rain started.
"I tried to stay with him on the final lap and I knew I had a better exit line for the straight so I am very happy," the 26-year-old added.
Stoner's Italian team mate Andrea Dovizioso was third, which was enough to clinch third place in the championship ahead of Spaniard Dani Pedrosa, also of Repsol Honda.
Spanish Yamaha rider Jorge Lorenzo, the 2010 champion who is not competing in Valencia due to a finger injury, was already assured of second in the championship.
British Yamaha rider Cal Crutchlow finished fourth and took the Rookie of the Year award.
In a dramatic start at a damp Cheste circuit, Spanish Suzuki rider Alvaro Bautista lost control seconds after the off and took out Italy's Valentino Rossi, Frenchman Randy De Puniet and American Nicky Hayden, all on Ducatis.
It was the third race in a row that Rossi had crashed out, bringing to an end a tough season for the seven-times MotoGP champion.
Riders from all three world championship categories had gathered at the pit lane earlier before completing a lap in honour of Italian Gresini Racing rider Marco Simoncelli, who was killed in a crash in Malaysia last month.
The procession was led by former world champion Kevin Schwantz on Simoncelli's Honda bike.
In the Moto2 category, Gresini's Michele Pirro claimed the first win of his career after Stefan Bradl was confirmed as champion on Saturday, becoming, at 21, the youngest German rider to win a world title.
Bradl, who crashed out of Sunday's race, was handed the championship by default after nearest rival Marc Marquez of Spain pulled out because of injury.
The last race in the 125cc category before the switch to Moto3 resulted in Nicolas Terol of Spain being crowned champion after Frenchman Johann Zarco crashed on lap three.

Wednesday, 26 October 2011

Russia announces £125m to build F1 circuit

The Russian government plans to spend nearly £125 million building a motor racing circuit in Sochi to host the country's first Formula One grand prix in 2014, a senior government official has confirmed.

"The federal government has allocated 5.846 billion roubles (£122) for this project," Alaxander Ivanov, deputy governor of the Krasnodar region, told reporters. He said the construction of the track itself will cost about £125m.
The rest of the money will come from sponsorship and private investors, officials said.
Formula One supremo Bernie Ecclestone signed a seven-year deal with the regional governor last year to stage a Russian Grand Prix in the Black Sea resort from 2014 until 2020.
Sochi is also hosting the 2014 Winter Games and the opening race could be put back a year if it hinders preparations for the Olympics.
However, with Prime Minister Vladimir Putin backing the Formula One project, Russian officials have been optimistic that all the infrastructure would be built on time.